Calling a plumber out in the middle of the night because of a burst pipe or other problems will be very expensive. There are a few steps to take that will reduce the risk and will also save you money on your heating costs as well.
- Ensure all your pipe work in the loft is properly lagged, this will save on heating costs as well as reducing the risks of freezing
- If your boiler or water heater is in an exposed position, i.e. garage or outbuilding, make sure a frost stat is attached
- Check that your storage tank is lagged - a slit water tank will result in a lot of water coming through your ceiling
- Check that your loft insulation doesn't actually extend beneath the storage tank. This facilitates the heat from the house preventing your water tank from freezing
- Have your boiler regularly serviced by a CORGI professional.