There is a great deal of choice for flooring generally available on the market. Carpet has many benefits compared to other choices including;
- Warmth – Carpet provides additional comfort in the winter months as it provides a level of insulation to your home
- Comfort – many people say that laminates, real wood floors and tiles are hard on the feet. Their hardwearing characteristics makes them great in areas of the home where there is high traffic or where the floor may get dirty easily but it does make them a little hard on the feet in a room where you relax.
- Noise – Carpet is very good at reducing noise. Some flats and apartments have clauses in the lease meaning that floors have to be carpeted to reduce the noise of footsteps for owners underneath.
As there are so many carpets, styles and types to choose from it can be a little daunting getting the right one. Here are a few considerations you should consider when choosing a new carpet
- Colour – does it go with the rest of the decorations and furnishings. Does it make the room feel cooler or warmer
- Pile – a longer pile, without doubt does offer a more luxurious feel but it can mean it’s harder to keep clean and can leave tracks in high traffic areas. They are great for a sitting room or bedroom but may be not so good for a hallway or stairs
- Patterns – Pubs and hotels often choose highly patterned carpets as they show the dirt less. Also plainer carpets tend to go with more decorations than highly patterned.
- Cleaning – modern carpets are pretty robust. However, look at the carpet in the store or the online details to see how easy it will be to keep clean
- Carpet Fibres - what the carpet is made from
Other considerations are also worth thinking about.
- How long will the carpet be in place for, it’s all very well choosing a carpet that is highly fashionable now but fashions come and go. Who would want a 70’s swirly carpet now? The same may apply to current fashions.
- Underlay - choosing the underlay is as important as choosing the carpet